We're Hiring a Part-time Outreach Worker
Updated: Jan 26
Job Title: Outreach Worker
Supervisor: Executive Director
Status: Part-time (max 20hrs/wk.)
Location: Philadelphia, PA
ABOUT STRAWBERRY MANSION COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION:
Since 2004, the Strawberry Mansion CDC (SMCDC) has worked diligently on its mission to promote sustainable revitalization through residential, commercial and economic development, historic preservation and the empowerment of the Strawberry Mansion community. Through its neighborhood planning efforts, the SMCDC has partnered with the Philadelphia Commerce Department, Fairmount Conservancy, The University of Pennsylvania and Jefferson University to develop comprehensive neighborhood plans for residential and commercial corridors, repurposing vacant schools and industrial sites as well as plans for East Fairmount Park. Its development efforts include collaborations with Friends Rehabilitation Program (Strawberry Mansion Townhomes), Community Ventures (Cecil B. Moore Homes) on homeownership, and with Philadelphia Housing Authority on several affordable housing projects (Oakdale, Gordon and Berks Apartments). Recent collaborations on community amenities include the Septa’s 33rd & Dauphin Street Bus Depot, Community Partnership School and the Discovery Center. To date, the SMCDC has represented the community in over 500 million dollars of public and private development. As development opportunities continue to surge, the SMCDC is committed to strengthening the community’s position by promoting change that is inclusive of neighborhood plans and resident needs.
Strawberry Mansion Community Development Corporation is seeking an Outreach Worker to provide hands on support and coordination in the implementation of a resident driven home repair program. The Outreach Worker will identify, engage and coordinate the project’s initiatives with the stakeholders and will work closely alongside the homeowners to ensure their understanding of the repair process. They will employ a variety of engagement strategies to keep the homeowners and surrounding residents informed of available workshops and resources. He/she will also provide administrative support to ensure data is kept up to date.
· Work with SMCDC, community residents and stakeholders to develop a toolkit with resources, provide guidance, and tools to implement the Project for the greatest outcomes and benefits.
· Work as part of a team to organize and hold events that draw in and involve local residents and partners.
· Collect, track, and deliver required documentation, data, and reports on a timely basis.
· Marketing to Strawberry Mansion residents and stakeholders.
· Working as part of a team to design and deliver a range of innovative community outreach and engagement activities in targeted areas throughout Strawberry Mansion.
· Developing and sustaining positive relationships with a range of people, including residents, community leaders, local groups and organizations, and local authorities.
· Publicizing the CDC project through flyers, posters, social media and networking with residents, local groups and organizations.
· Supporting face-to-face, online, and print communication and marketing activities.
· Attending meetings and working as part of our SMHHRP partnership (with Urban League, Preservation Alliance, VIP etc.)
· Working in different environments (both office-based and on the ground), at times best suited to the residents and community (including some evenings and weekends).
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
· Commitment to SMCDC mission and values.
· Share our commitment to putting residents at the heart of the home repair process and the workshop series.
· Experience working in community outreach and engagement, particularly with disadvantaged groups.
· Ability to facilitate and lead creative and engaging community-based workshops and activities.
· Ability to recruit and support residents from diverse backgrounds to take part in community-led projects.
· Experience of working with a variety of different stakeholders, including residents, local groups, and organizations across the voluntary and public sectors.
· Experience of organizing creative and successful events which engage and involve people from a range of different backgrounds.
· Strong communication skills including presenting, facilitation, and relationship building.
· Hard-working, reliable and professional, able to manage a varied and challenging workload and work well both as part of a team and alone.
· Willing and able to work in different environments, including being office based and spending a large amount of time on the ground within communities.
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com, no later than Feb 28, 2021 Please include “Outreach Worker” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
SMCDC provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.
The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by the Project Coordinator. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job. Management has the sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.